Saturday, August 18, 2012

Halloween in August?

Does it bother you to see Halloween and Fall scented candles/products in stores in August?!? I seriously want to know.

While Fall is my absolute favorite time of year because I love to eat and breathe all things pumpkin, and inhale all Fall fragrances - falling leavings, pumpkin pie, cinnamon spices, nutmeg, hot apple cider, chai tea... I refrain from putting these new scented items up on EverythingSmell's web site until September because it just feels wrong to rush the summer along. I've actually had all the Fall scented products in stock since May, sitting there waiting patiently for the end of August. However, I often wonder if customers would prefer to be able to purchase them now, or in season? The same can be said for Christmas/Holiday scents. Would you believe I had to order them back in April or they would have been sold out by the time winter actually arrived? It's crazy to me. I learned that lesson the hard way the first year I opened the business back in 2003.

So here I am going against the grain and attempting to keep seasonal fragrances seasonal. Much like the glorious "Cadbury Egg." Now there's a perfect example. If you could eat a Cadbury Egg year-round, would you enjoy it as much? I think not. The sheer fact that you can only get a Cadbury Egg during Easter makes them all the more special. Now I did just see a horrid attempt at a Halloween Cadbury Egg with green colored filling. I hope that doesn't make it back next year...ha!

So enjoy the rest of your summer days and fill them with the fragrances of coconut, ocean waves, mango salsa, strawberry shortcake, grilled steaks, tomato vines, lemonade, watermelon, and jasmine. Fall will be here before we know it.

Cheers,

Danielle Roska
Owner/Scent Expert
www.EverythingSmells.com


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new blog! I love fall products any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, great questions Danielle. I'm usually a seasonal scentee, but appreciate how the scent of evergreen in the dead of summer, or grass in middle of winter can conjure up some wonderful memories, dreams. I guess I'm becoming more of an all season fan. Congrats again on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make a good point Jane. We sell an awful lot of Fresh Cut Grass Candles in early Fall right when people no longer get to smell the scent in nature. And then at Christmas time people seem to crave the scent of Suntan Lotion!

    ReplyDelete